Back Routine for Definition
- Wide Grip Front Pulldowns – 4 sets 15 reps
- Seated Cable Rows – 4 sets 15 reps
- Bent Over Barbell Rows – 4 sets 15 reps
Strength and Size Back Routine
- Front Pulldowns – 3 sets 10-12 reps
- One Arm Dumbbell Rows – 4 sets 10-12 reps
- Underhand Barbell Rows – 4 sets 8-12 reps
- Seated Low Cable Rows – 3 sets 10-12 reps
- Wide Grip chin ups – get to 40 reps as many sets necessary
- Close Grip chin ups – get to 40 reps
- Seated lat pull downs – warm up then 4 sets 6-8 reps
Lat Workout Option 2
- Seated lat pull downs – warm up then 4 sets 6-10 reps
- Seated lat pull downs behind the neck – 5 sets 6-10 reps
- Machine rows – 5 sets 6-10 reps
Lat Routine Option 3
- Bent over barbell rows – warm up then 4 sets 8-10 reps
- Dumbbell rows bent over – 5 sets 8-10 reps
- Single arm dumbbell rows using bench – 5 sets 8-10 reps
Dave Henry’s Back Routine
- Power Rack Deadlifts – 7-8 sets 4-6 reps
- Machine High Rows – 3-4 sets 4-6 reps
- Reverse Grip Barbell Rows – 3 sets 4-6 reps
- Dumbbell Pullovers – 3 sets 4-6 reps
Roc Shabazz’s Back Workout
- Deadlifts – 3 sets 8 reps
- One Arm Dumbbell Rows – 3 sets 8 reps
- Seated Cable Pulldowns – 3 sets 8 reps
- Hyperextensions – 3 sets 8 reps
Other Lat / Back Exercises
- Wide grip chin ups – front or back of the neck
- Single arm cable rows
- Bent over dumbbell rows
- T bar rows
- Bent leg deadlifts
Latissimus Dorsi Training Tips
- Incline Dumbbell Rows targets your lower lats and traps
- Seated Cable Rows target your middle traps and lower lats.
Back Exercises and Form Guide
The Best Back Exercises you can do are Chin Ups, Lat Pull Downs, Bent Over Barbell Rows and Seated Cable Rows.
Lat Pull Downs
Purpose of the Lat Pull Downs is to Widen the Upper Lats.
Proper form for Lat Machine Pull Downs
Grab with a Wide Overhand Grip and sit with your thighs locked under the support, pull the bar down to the top of your chest pretending you are pulling it using your elbows to help take your biceps out of the exercise. If your biceps get overtired this is a sign you are using improper form. Do no lean back either. Pause and slowly go back to the starting position.
Variations include Behind the Neck Lat Pull Downs and when you can do more than your weight do actual Chin Ups.
Bent Over Barbell Rows
Purpose of the Bent Over Barbell Row to Strengthen and Thicken the Upper Back
Proper form for Bent Over Barbell Rows
Stand with your feet a few inches apart and grab the barbell with a wide overhand grip, bend your upper body over parallel to the ground and remain looking forward. The barbell should be hanging around your shins, knees slightly bent and pull it up towards the upper abdominal area and then release slowly back to the starting position.
Variations include doing Dumbbell Rows, One Arm Dumbbell Rows and T Bar Rows
Seated Cable Rows
Purpose of the Seated Cable Row is to Develop Overall Thickness and the Lower Lats
Proper form for Seated Cable Rows
Choose your extension, sit with knees slightly bent and with arms forward you can feel the lats stretch at the starting position. Pull the cable towards your abdominal muscles until they touch for a brief second and slowly release back to the starting position. Do not lean backwards and try to touch your shoulder blades together when pulling the weight in.
So there you have it for our complete guide to back training with plenty of workouts and weak point training advice. Work these tips into your next session!